|Early Telephone Office (Mathis House), Tuckerton, NJ. (Photo by John H. Yates 2010)|
Early Telephone Office
The first telephone office in Tuckerton was located in a small building on North Green Street, where it occupied the second floor. The building is no longer there. A larger office was maintained in the two front rooms of the Reuben Morey house on Clay Street which was built in the late 1800's. It served a wide area from Manahawkin to New Gretna. A telephone office was also located in the house owned by Michael & Patricia Mathis at the corner of Clay and South Green Street, pictured above.